Visits

Friday 20 May 2011

National Library

Opening Time at the National Library of Wales

A gulf of houses separates me from the ocean

swell that a sun gilded Old College seems to float upon,

Irregular town roofs form the surface of a choppy terracotta sea

which laps the shores of west Wales' Cambrian Galilee.



A rhythm of voices at my stern cackles like gulls

hungry to gorge themselves on freeze-dried chronicles, 

Passive listening blends the two languages together at my aft;

the sound of my ancestors calling to me from centuries back?



Saesneg and Gymraeg or English and Welsh

are the languages audible inside or outside of myself,

A litany of literary men await the solid oak door

to be pulled aside; revealing the womb open once more,

To walk along the well worn wooden corridor

toward the embryonic sanctuary of the reading room floor

"Drws ar agor"

If you like my poetry, please encourage me to write more through my Twitter here: @HortonEddison

View from the National Library steps





No comments:

Post a Comment